August 04, 2005

Home again


We returned home this evening to find that in our absence, the black-eyed susans had bloomed. They flower in big clumps, all along our side yard.

The less pleasant discovery was a gift from one of our cats. She had managed to drag a whole big bird in through the cat door and hide it in the laundry room where the teenage cat-sitter would not find it. I am used to coming home to dead frogs and birds, but this corpse was especially spectacular. When I picked it up to move it out into the yard, I discovered a squirming pile of maggots, hundreds of them.

Spouse has already started the laundry, and I am heading to the grocery store, but as usual, I am looking forward to the amenities of home: a hot shower to wash off all the travelling dirt and a real bed to sleep in. I have less than a week to enjoy these comforts before I am off on my next trip.

15 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

(Shuddering.)

I hope you had a good trip, minus the maggots on your welcome home.

You've certainly been missed!

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

Hurray! (about you being back, not about the maggots.) Good to hear from you again!

BrightStar (B*) said...

it's nice to hear from you and to see your flowers!

squirming pile of maggots?! ew... I'd bet an entomologist could approximate the date of death of the bird by examining those maggots, though. that would be neat.

Badger said...

nothing says "i missed you" like maggots.

beautiful flowers!

Scrivener said...

Welcome home! Sounds like the cat missed you almost as much as we did.

Unknown said...

Hmm...maggots...emergency room...which homecoming was better? :-)

Anonymous said...

And I thought the half dead mouse was bad.

jo(e) said...

Songbird: Oh, I would take maggots over the emergency room any day. I'm not squeamish about that kind of thing, and they are actually kind of interesting to watch ....

Pink Cupcake said...

Such beautiful flowers! Glad you're back - I've missed your posts this week.

Lucy said...

welcome back :)

Yankee, Transferred said...

what ppb said. plus I missed you.

Kathryn said...

Bouquets all round....from loving feline as well as from your garden!
Good to have you back...hope you had a great trip.

RussianViolets said...

Welcome home!!! We've missed you.

halloweenlover said...

We've missed you!!! And of course, I have been waiting for a post and just when I leave for 4 days you go ahead and write one. Sigh. So glad you are back!

Julie said...

Oh, ha ha ha!

We have debated whether to install a cat door. One of ours is very nocturnal and, um, outdoorsy. I recently found the bottom half of a mouse in our driveway. Anyway, thanks for settling the debate. We definitely will not be going that route!