January 20, 2007

Breath of winter

It's been a week of change and transition. On Monday, my daughter flew to European City Where Cell Phones are called Mobiles and began her semester there. Boy in Black went back to college. Shaggy Hair Boy turned sixteen, old enough to drive a car. Neighbor Guy's father died last weekend. Poet Woman's mother died Tuesday morning. My semester began, with students arriving back on campus the same day that winter returned, with snow and ice and chilly winds.

Through this week, I've had a bad cold. Even as my body and mind have tried to adjust to the changes around me, I've felt mostly like I was underwater, caught by currents I didn't understand and moving slowly while things around me floated away. This morning, I woke up with my head clear for the first time in days. A storm had dumped six inches of snow during the night, so I put on my coat and took a walk in my woods, which had been transformed. The muddy ground had frozen and disappeared beneath glistening white, and above my head, tree branches held bits of snow up against sky.

branches

11 comments:

Jan said...

I love the freshness, the purity of a new snow. Not that I get to experience it much in my part of the world! Beautiful photo.

Glad you are feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Do feel better. Hopefully, we'll get some snow soon in my area.

Anonymous said...

I miss snow. Thanks for the pic.

Anonymous said...

glad you're breathing again!Beautiful picture.

Anonymous said...

We have snow too. It was very beautiful coming down. I'm ready for it to leave now.

Anonymous said...

Wish I could have joined you on that walk in the woods. Glad you're head has cleared. What a week you've had!

betty said...

maybe i need to do the same to feel some relief from my lingering cold.

(btw just catching up and i wanted to say thanks a lot (please read with sarcastic voice) for the link to weffriddles in one of your earlier posts. it has eaten up my entire morning!)

Anonymous said...

glad you are feeling better. Nothing like a walk in the snow to clear your head.

Anonymous said...

This makes me want to get some snowshoes so I can take a walk in my woods. Beautiful photo.

listie said...

I'm glad you're feeling better after your trying week.

Yesterday, as we were struggling our way up HighwayGoingNorth, I thought, "jo(e)'s Snowstorm City is sure living up to its name."

Anonymous said...

What a big week! I am so jealous for all that beauty that lurks in your backyard.