July 21, 2007

The bells are going to chime

My brother is getting married today. It's a second wedding for both him and his fiance. They've both been widowed. Years ago, they went to elementary school together, to the same Big Stone Church School that my kids went to, and they started dating two years ago after seeing each other at their 25-year high school reunion.

They've invited just family, mostly, but family is a whole lot of people. In addition to my sisters and all of the grandchildren on my side of the family, my brother has his daughter, Drama Niece, and four grown-up stepkids from his first marriage who have traveled here with their spouses. And his fiance has eleven siblings. Yes, that's right. Eleven siblings.

Out-of-town family have been arriving. Red-haired Niece arrived in Traintrack Village Thursday, which means that Blonde Sister has all three of her daughters home. Red-haired Sister came Thursday night with her husband and kids. With-a-Why and Suburban Nephew, happily reunited, played together all day and went over to my mother's house for lunch, while Blonde Niece and Drama Niece, my daughter reported, were doing some kind of beauty ritual before the big day. Dandelion Niece spent the day hanging out at my house with Neighbor Girl. Tie-Dye Brother-in-law went out to the drugstore to get allergy medicine (he's allergic to cats, and I have seven of them), and earned all kinds of points with the women in the household by bringing back dark chocolate. Urban Sophisticate Sister called last night to say that her plane had landed, and she was in town.

My daughter made the boys try on their clothes last night to be sure everyone has dress clothes that fit. (She's remembering this incident.) It should be no surprise to anyone that Boy in Black is wearing black pants, a black dress shirt, and a black tie. The long hair and sunglasses are a nice finishing touch to the outfit. Shaggy Hair Boy, who gets his hand-me-downs, will look much the same, although he will at least pull his hair back neatly into a ponytail. With-a-Why will be wearing his concert clothes, dark pants with a white shirt, while Suburban Nephew, who is just a bit smaller, will wear With-a-Why's concert clothes from last year. My daughter and Blonde Niece are wearing summer dresses that are quite similar, and Red-haired Niece reports that the dress she brought is very much like my mother's. Dandelion Niece brought not one, but two fancy dresses with her. It's always nice to have a back-up in case of spills.

The event has caused a flurry of phone calls and text messages, and much running back and forth between the homes of those who live here, but soon we will be gathered for the ceremony and the reception, all in one place, where we will be eating, dancing, and talking in person.

Game time

Dandelion Niece and Neighbor Girl playing a game on the floor of my living room. I think the cat is winning.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how your kitties make it into so many of your photos!

ccw said...

I hope the family has a wonderful time at the wedding. Congratulations to your brother!

The kitty is gorgeous!

PPB said...

I want to scratch that kitty's belly!

a/k/a Nadine said...

Congrats to your brother!

That is one fine specimen of a feline.

Horace said...

I had a kitty who looked like that one: half maine coon named Monkey Face, 24 lbs. She too was excellent at games. Mostly by sitting on them.

Congrats to your Brother, and really to your ever expanding family. What joy there must be from so many people!

Yankee T said...

I hope this marriage brings your brother the peace he has lacked in the past (if I'm thinking about the right brother.)

It sounds like a wonderful reunion for you all. Have a great time!

BeachMama said...

I hope you are having a gorgeous day like we are and that the wedding is perfect and lots of fun. Congratulations to your Brother and his new wife.

Sue said...

Have a wonderful day!

I'm next in the queue to scratch the kitty's belly...

Linda said...

I've been thinking about you today, wondering how the wedding went.

Liz Miller said...

We have that game!!!

And MM's namesake, Muffin the Cat, looked exactly like that B. Kliban cat you have there.

skatey katie said...

that game has been M5's fave game for a year and a half. he used to just make stuff outta the playdoh but now he can play the whole thing.
but what do you call the plastic little counters: we ended up calling them *cadoos*....

Sarah Sometimes said...

hope it's a wonderful gathering!

Ampersand said...

How wonderful to have everyone together and for such a happy reason.

Your cat looks like a Kliban!

wwwmama said...

I love that picture. Makes me look forward to the day when my daughter can play the "big girl" games and I don't have to worry about little chokables!

Psycho Kitty said...

That's no cat...that's a space station!

Rana said...

That?

Is one fat cat.

tokam said...

Pretty sure the word obese is Latin for Cat.