August 13, 2007

Little cat feet

Fog

One afternoon during our vacation, a change in weather brought a thick mist across the sand. The red lifeguard chair and a bright beach umbrella stood out against the greyness. The other people on the beach became dark silhouettes. My daughter went walking along the shore and disappeared into the whiteness. Waves came crashing out of grey sky, the foam especially white against the sand. The salty moistness touched my arms, my neck, my face. It made my hair curly.

Shaggy Hair was digging a hole for himself near the water's edge. For some reason, as my kids have gotten older, they've lost the urge to build castles and instead just dig big holes that they can climb into. Sitting on the sand near him, I watched With-a-Why skimboard across the wet sand, listened to the surf, and admired the way the fog blurred the edges of the world.

Boys at the beach

With-a-Why trying out the skimboard, with encouragement from Boy in Black.

13 comments:

S. said...

Something about the top photo looks just like my family's photos of beach trips from the early 70's.

Yankee T said...

Terrific photos of the beach and the boys. No money wasted at the hairdresser or barber in your family, eh? Everyone has terrific hair.

KLee said...

I love how everything looks as though it's viewed through a filter when the fog rolls in like that.

I wish we had more fog here. We just have sun, sun, and more sun. And sunburn. Oy.

Xtin said...

What YT said. Great. Hair.

I miss the sea.

Wayfarer Scientista said...

Isn't it otherworldly when the fog does that? We had a day like that they other day and I loved it, the way the mist feels against your skin & hair, the way it sharpens the smell of the sea.

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

That's Carl Sandburg, isn't it? It reminded me of the children's book "Sneakers, the Seaside Cat."

Your vacation sounds lovely, lovely, lovely, but I'm glad to have you posting again!

BeachMama said...

I love the ocean so much that even foggy days are great ones. If I got to see it more often I probobly wouldn't even mind the Tropical Storms and Hurricanes as they are spectacular to watch.

susan said...

That fog looks like it came in with a pretty big cat. I do love those quick changes of weather.

jo(e) said...

Yes, it's Sandburg. When I was a kid, that poem was in every school anthology ....

Yankee: Yeah, we save a lot of money on haircuts. The only person in the house who gets his haircut on a regular basis is my husband: he's got gorgeous thick hair, but he keeps it short for work.

Unknown said...

Love these pictures, jo(e).

Unknown said...

Your boys look like my oldest! Love the hair.

ccw said...

These are great pictures!

I love to be at the beach on a day like that.

nimiecat said...

My mother used that quote all the time when I was little. Of course, we lived right outside of SF so we saw a lot of fog! Coolest memory of fog was watching it roll up the cliffs in to the lights during one of my friends riding lessons.