January 28, 2008

That never sleeps

Tomorrow morning, I'll take one of my favourite train rides: a trip that winds down along a river and arrives eventually in the City Like No Other. I can't read or write on a train because it makes me motion sick, so what I do is just sit and stare out the window, eating the snacks I brought, daydreaming, making up stories about the stuff I see out the window or the other people in the train, but mostly — doing absolutely nothing. I love that. It's so seldom that I give myself permission to do nothing.

By afternoon, I'll be wandering around Urban Sophisticate Sister's neighborhood. When she gets out of work, we'll go out to eat, and then Wednesday, I've got the whole day to explore what is one of the most fascinating cities in the world before meeting a blogger friend for dinner.

That's my plan, mostly. I am going to wander around neighborhoods, visit some museums, and eat great vegan meals with friends. Oh, and beginning Wednesday night, I've got this whole conference to attend, too, jampacked with cool sessions and fantastic readings. My conference roommate and I have been trying to figure out what the conference acronym stands for: I thought it was A Wild Party, but she thinks it means Attractive Weird Poets. Either one works for me.

11 comments:

Rev Dr Mom said...

I bet that is a beautiful train ride.

I was just there last week--no place can compare with the city. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I'm flying there Wednesday morning. I can't wait, either. I wish I could take a train instead but it would take me 4 days.

concretegodmother said...

Wow! It's a high-powered lineup. I can't wait to hear what you've learned. Much fun, and safe travels!

hele said...

O

That sounds so wonderful.

listie said...

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

As much as I don't enjoy trains, I am sure that trip is just beautiful this time of year. Enjoy your time on the train as much as the time in the City Like No Other.

purple_kangaroo said...

Have a wonderful time!

Yankee, Transferred said...

I miss that city all the time.

Anonymous said...

I love that train ride, especially the part along the river named for The Guy Who Was Abandoned By His Crew in Icy Waters.

Unfortunately no train station here so we take the bus or drive -- just drove down for a day this weekend, left at 6:30am, CB was in that city for four days, we joined her for a birthday dinner, drove back home afterwards arriving at midnight.

Have a great time!

Sally said...

sounds wonderful...

landismom said...

Hope you have a wonderful time!