August 11, 2008

Down the shore

Down the shore

Last weekend, With-a-Why and I traveled to the shore with Red-haired Sister's family and their three dogs. Saturday morning, Beautiful Smart Wonderful Daughter and Urban Sophisticate Sister came together by bus from Big City Like No Other to join us for a couple days at the beach. "I like these gatherings of random family members," Urban Sophisticate announced as the nine of us sat down to a feast prepared by Red-Haired Sister and Tie-dye Brother-in-law.

The beach we went to on Saturday is part of a big state park. The two swimming beaches were filled with colorful umbrellas and kids in bright bathing suits, but when we took a walk to collect seashells, we found stretches of empty beach and sand dunes. We all had fun body surfing and jumping in the ocean waves.

Surf

In this photo, from left to right: Dandelion Niece, Urban Sophisticate Sister, Russian Girl, Girl Who Happened to be Swimming Near Us, Suburban Nephew, With-a-Why, and Tie-dye Brother-in-law.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I love swimming in the ocean! I'll be at Narragansett beach this weekend, which is surely one of the best body-surfing beaches anywhere. Looking at this picture I can taste it!

Unknown said...

I was just there a couple of weeks ago! I enjoyed the colorful umbrellas and laughing gulls. Hope the water is warmer now than it was then.

jo(e) said...

Readersguide: We went to Narragansett last August -- that *is* a terrific beach.

Bridget: The water seemed really warm to us. That's what I love about August.

landismom said...

Do people Up There say "down the shore?" I thought that was only a Jersey thing...

Nice waves!

jo(e) said...

landismom: I was on the Jersey shore, so that's why I used the expression. My mother grew up in New Jersey ....

BrightBoy said...

"To the shore." Ha ha, that's the most Northern thing to say.

It looks like you had a good time, although I'd like a bit more privacy.

duopastorale said...

It looks wonderful, the sort of summer I dream of!!

Sarah Sometimes said...

I wish I had know you were there--I would have come down on the bus and crashed the party of random family members...

great pics.

jo(e) said...

Sarah Sometimes: I wish you had! You could have joined us in some of our Sound of Music performances.

Gawdess said...

I want this.
ocean and surf, sand and sun - but I could make do with cloud too - looking at these pictures is like sinking my teeth into a juicy, ripe fruit - I want more!