March 09, 2009

Even in the South

When I first arrived in Southern State of Red Dirt and Magnolia Trees, I was thrilled to see flowering trees. And daffodils in bloom! How wonderful it was to walk around without a winter coat on.

And then it snowed.

Yes, really. On Sunday, we got a couple of inches of snow, enough to stick on the ground. It was the heavy, wet snow that we get in April or May back at home. Spring snow, for sure, but snow none-the-less. The long driveway of green magnolia trees were covered with white. I put on my fleece, took my camera outside, and stood underneath a tree, watching as the snow came down, and laughing at how ridiculous it seemed.

Southern snow

8 comments:

Queen of West Procrastination said...

It's snowing here, too, in Only Canadian City That Doesn't Get Winter. It's the strangest sight for me, watching all that snow mixed with the crocuses and the cherry blossoms.

Unknown said...

Do you think you brought it to them?

kathy a. said...

i laughed when i saw the weather news, soon after you announced your departure for the sunny south. this isn't a heck of a lot of snow for you, but the irony.... glad there was also light, and daffodils, and trees blooming.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! That seems unfair!

Kathy Rogers said...

So maybe you're the Snow Queen or something.

jo(e) said...

Yes, the snow was clearly my doing. This kind of thing happens to me all the time. I go to someplace warm and then IT SNOWS and people there are all excited to see the snow and I'm rolling my eyes ....

justin said...

It's turned wintery again, here in the UK's East Midlands ~ blustery showers, with occasional hail and sleet. Oh, what joy.

RageyOne said...

You left the cold wintry north and it followed you! :)