November 17, 2009

Inside by the fire

“It kills the flu germs,” explained With-a-Why. He’d been talking to Philosophical Boy about how we should drink hot liquids to prevent ourselves from getting the H1N1 flu.

So that’s what we’ve been doing on these dark November evenings. I build a fire, and we settle down in front of it with books, laptops, and homework papers. Then I put on the tea kettle – cocoa for my husband and the boys, herbal tea for me. I don’t know whether or not all the hot liquid is warding off the flu, but I love the coziness of the ritual.

The cold fall weather makes me crave fall foods: steaming squash soup, squares of cornbread, pie made with tart apples. I’m busy most evenings – reading student papers, working on stuff for class – but already I’m looking forward to the winter break when all the kids will be home and we can just hang out in front of the fire, talking and reading and doing nothing much at all.

6 comments:

L said...

Awww, that makes me want to go make a cup of tea right now! I think I will. Herbal fruit flavored teas are my favorites!

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

I've been told that gargling with salt water will also ward off the flu. That's not at all cozy, though. I like your way better!

Liz Miller said...

Mmmmm.....coooooozzzzzzzyyyyyyy

Wayfarer Scientista said...

I seem to drink tea all day long at this time of year. My theory is that we stay healthier when we are hydrated and this time of year it's easier to drink warm stuff!

Sam said...

Alcohol works too.

Silver Creek Mom said...

I love hunkering down by the fire. I wish I could do it with out the t.v. blarring. Hubby and Son are awful for that. I have to hide myself in the kitchen or bedroom, not quite as nice or toasty!