December 11, 2009

Still sick

Yes, I’m still alive. But I don’t much else to report. I’ve got the kind of persistent cough that means I simply can’t sleep at all. My ears hurt. My throat hurts. My ribs hurt. I’m guessing that what I had was the H1N1 flu; the little neighbor kids were diagnosed with it in November, and I ended up taking care of them because their mother was very sick as well. So yeah, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. I kept hoping it was just a cold, but that hope disappeared days ago.

Today is Day 11 of me being sick. Yes, I’m counting – I want credit for all these days of misery. At this point, I think it’s no longer the flu but all the secondary infections that are making me feel so miserable. I’m guessing that antiobiotics would clear these up pretty quickly. But unfortunately, antibiotics make me break out in hives. Perhaps someday, I’ll be in the mood to experiment and find an antibiotic that I’m not allergic to, but I right now I don’t feel like making that sacrifice for science. I’m hoping to get better without having to resort to any itchy experiments.

I’m sure I’ll be healthy again soon. Perhaps saying that confidently will make it happen. But in the meantime, thanks to all the bloggers who have sent emails of concern. I appreciate the messages. In the midst of feeling so utterly miserable, I have to say that it’s been wonderful to get emails from friends. What has made me feel really great is that some readers who have been concerned about the little neighbor kids have been sending me presents for the kids: I can’t tell you how much it touches me that people I’ve never met share my concern and are trying to help out from miles away.

17 comments:

Rana said...

I'm glad to hear from you, even if it's news that you're still sick.

Hang in there.

Remember, too, that honey is antibacterial, as is alcohol (though that's dehydrating). Hot water and salt are also good. And massage.

*sends positive energy jo(e)-wards*

Sandie said...

Damn I cannot believe you are still sick. What kind of torture are you being subjected to?!?!

I wish you healing, swiftly and fully. I always use garlicin (the one with vitamin C in it) as a substitute for antibiotics. It is hard on the digestive tract to take 2 a day, but so are antibiotics.

I may have something for the neighbor kids as well. I will let you know. If I can swing it, it will probably be after Christmas and be an Epiphany present (big in the family that I am a part of now).

Peace, healing, and a whole other host of blessings to you jo(e).

Sandie said...

Oh, sorry that was Ampersand, accidentally signed in as Sandie.

We are one, anyway. :-)

Anjali said...

You poor thing. That is a terribly long time to be ill. Feel better soon!

Queen of West Procrastination said...

I'm sending you virtual tea and singing "Soft Kitty" to my computer screen. (I'm assuming you've seen any of those Big Bang Theory episodes.)

jo(e) said...

Queen of West Procrastination: That made me laugh aloud! (Yes, I've seen every episode of the Big Bang Theory.)

Rana: I've been taking teaspoons of honey faithfully. At least it takes much better than any antibiotic I've had ....

Kathryn said...

Poor love...sorry this is lingering in such an unfriendly way. Feel better soon, but be kind to yourself in the meantime xx

Donna's chitchat said...

I got H1N1 on Nov 20, and I still have the cough. Especially at night. I spent 9 days at home, in body pain, fevers, but most of all... not caring about life. I was so exhausted, I laid in bed. I missed 9 days of work, which freaked out all 50 of my coworkers, because in 17 years, I would miss the occasional day, but never two in a row. When I was sick, 3 others were too, and we called each other to compare symptoms. It was like we needed to connect each day to console each other. The few of us that had it, are still quite tired, still get caught by the damn coughing, at the worse times, and I still can't seem to regulate my body temp (or I could be full blown hot flashing now). Its nasty, and we all want to wear a shirt saying "I survived H1N1" but we don't well its time yet to say we have!
Sorry to write and tell you about MY illness.... but sometimes it feels good to know that others have the same thing and you will get better... its gonna take time!

Liz Miller said...

Sending hugs, love, and cough drops.

rented life said...

I had what you had in late October. They didn't bother with antibiotics, but I was given some things for the cough. In the end the Ricola cough drops allowed me to have a few non-coughing moments. Otherwise, it just takes a long long time. Sorry! Stay warm!

landismom said...

Ugh! I'm sorry to hear that you're so persistently sick--my dh had it in November, and it was definitely not that fun for him, for weeks. Hope you kick it soon.

Sue said...

Oh ick. I'm so sorry this hit you so hard. Sending head pats and chicken soup.....

AliceAcademic said...

((joe)) Hope you feel better soon.

Meredith Leigh Knight said...

I really hope you get well soon. Sorry you can't take antibiotics! That's got to be miserable.

Sarah Sometimes said...

Glad to see a post from you--I was getting worried! Sending you love and good thoughts....

Non Tenured Assistant Professor said...

I am sorry to hear this, I hope you will get better really soon! Take good care

jo(e) said...

Thanks for all the good wishes. I'm finally starting to feel better.