August 17, 2010

Top o' the falls

Green stripe

I think the coolest thing about this waterfall was the green stripe – bright kelly green, as if it had been decorated for Saint Patrick’s Day. Supposedly, there’s a notch at the top of the falls, so that the deeper, fast-flowing water spills over, and that water looks green in comparison to the white water around it. If you look close at the photo, you can see people standing on the platform next to the falls, which should give you some idea how big the falls were. (See, I do take photos of people! If you're in the photo, feel free to post this as your facebook picture.) We walked down to stand at the top of the falls, and from there, I could see a rainbow.

Canyon rainbow

7 comments:

sam said...

I'm enjoying your Yellowstone pictures - we were there a year ago and they're bringing back great memories!

Digger said...

Jo(e) this series is freakin' gorgeous. Park Service Foundation on Facebook is having a photo contest; you could win a trip! Just sayin' :)

kathy a. said...

wow. amazing photos.

Zhoen said...

The scale of the place is the most difficult part to convey.

Arvind said...

Wow! These pics are awesome! I didn't realize you were to the yellowstone coz I didn't see any updates on Facebook. Must remember to check your blog more often!!!

jo(e) said...

Arvind: Yeah, I don't update facebook very often. It's funny -- when I went to Yellowstone, I recognized some places from your pictures.

Arvind said...

LOL! That is awesome!! I'm already daydreaming about it again, thanks to your pics!!!!