March 27, 2011

If spring will come

If spring will come

I spent all day Saturday and most of today indoors, grading papers. But then this afternoon, Little Biker Boy called. He sounded frustrated, like he needed to get out of the house.

I was in the same mood.

Spring hasn't exactly arrived here yet. We've got snow on the ground, despite the buds on the lilac bushes. The spring peepers are still silent. And it was cold today, cold enough for my winter coat and mittens.

But Little Biker Boy insisted on wearing shorts. "It's almost summer," he said. I think he believes that if he just wishes hard enough for what he wants, it might happen.

I decided to take him to my parents' house, figuring we could go for a walk there. My mother made him cocoa and fed him cookies, and my father showed him artwork. Then we went out back to run up and down the hills, breathing in the cold wind and sunshine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pic.

Do you ever see his little sister?

kathy a. said...

i've been thinking about this post. so wonderful you could take him away for a bit! and i love that your parents are willing to love and nurture him, too.

jo(e) said...

Anon: I've seen Ponytail a couple of times since Christmas. She lives several towns over, with her father, but sometimes she's at her mother's apartment on weekends.

Kyla said...

Great photo, Glad you both got the break you needed.