May 30, 2011

Water, water, everywhere

High water

When I think about Memorial Day weekend, I picture sunny weather, long canoe rides, and myself floating peacefully through the marsh on an inner tube. I’ve been going to my parents’ camp every Memorial Day weekend for the last 43 years, and sometimes we actually do get that kind of summer weather. But it’s rare. At the end of May, we’re just as likely to get cold rain and spend the weekend huddled in tents, wet and miserable.

This weekend we gathered inside during the inevitable rainstorms and played Boggle, a game which Shaggy Hair Boy kept winning. I kiddingly suggested that five us team up against him — adding our scores together against his. My parents, my husband, and With-a-Why jumped into the game. What’s ridiculous is even with five of us playing against him, he still beat us.

All the rain we’ve had meant high water at camp: the docks were floating, and everywhere, we walked through puddles. When the rain stopped and the clouds cleared, we went out in the boats. The water was cold, of course, but that didn’t stop Shaggy Hair Boy and Blonde Niece from leaping into the water.

Leap

6 comments:

tracy said...

We've had to introduce boggle advantage where some of us get one extra point for each five letter word. Or something like that. I don't know, it seems to change all the time.

Kyla said...

Today our high is 91 (100 with heat index) and yesterday was about the same! The pool water was 86. I can't imagine how cold the water was up there!!

jo(e) said...

Kyla: Wow. We haven't really had much summer weather yet. The water was pretty icy.

YourFireAnt said...

Nice shot, Jo(e). When you get back let's go out to word play county park. OK?

T.

BrightenedBoy said...

That looks so awfully cold.

It was 100 degrees here today, but a "cold front" is taking us down to 89 tomorrow.

jo(e) said...

Yeah, it was chilly. But then yesterday, the temperatures went up over 90. Crazy weather, this year.

(I don't envy you temperatures above 100! I'd melt.)