December 31, 2011

Shifting

Time for reflection

Yesterday, I took a long walk with an old friend. (To clarify, it’s the friendship that’s old, not the friend.) Her husband and son, who had driven in from out of state with her, joined us for a hike around Pretty Colour Lake. On a cold winter day, the lake wasn't its usual deep green-blue colour, but a shifting pattern of greys and light blues. “That’s what I love about this lake,” Poet Woman said as we walked. “It’s always different. You never get bored.”

I could say the same about friendship. I’ve been friends with Poet Woman for 20 years, Artist Friend for 10 years, and Kindergarten Friend for 45 years. Most of my friends are people I’ve known for at least a decade. But my friends keep growing and changing, showing different aspects of themselves as the light changes, and our conversations never get boring.

Through the brambles

9 comments:

rented life said...

What a great description of friendships!

Anonymous said...

So true.

T.

Anthea said...

A good description of friendships. So true.

Heidi said...

LOVE!

Anonymous said...

(other Heidi) says, "LOVE!" too. And oh, oh, I know who you were with & where! I miss them, there & you too! Happy New Year, old friend :-) ...or should I say "longtime friend", HA!

Anonymous said...

that´s a nice lean I see going on there.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I love you jo(e)!!!! XOXOXOX

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Your old friends in this case are actually old.

Magpie said...

i had lunch before Christmas with 2 friends from college. I see one fairly regularly, and the other hardly ever, but it was the first time the three of us had been in the same room in, oh, 25 years? it was like slipping into a pair of old loved shoes.