January 19, 2012

Playing in the snow

By the creek

 When I picked up Little Biker Boy on Sunday, I said, “It’s a beautiful day. We should do something outside.” It’s what I always said to my own kids when they were little.

About six inches of snow had covered the trees and meadows. I drove down a street that deadends at a little creek and parked the car. Little Biker Boy ran over to the creek bank. “Watch out!” he yelled. “I might fall in!”

He stopped before he reached the edge of the creek and looked back at me. “Did I scare you?” he asked hopefully. “Didya think I was gonna fall in?”

I walked along the creek and took photos while he made snowballs and threw them into the water. With the foliage gone on the trees, we were in full sunshine most of the time, and our bodies made shadows on the snow. We explored the creek, a nearby bridge, and the woods.

When we came to the hill formed by the bridge embankment, Little Biker Boy ran to the top and began rolling down, his arms and legs flailing as he tumbled. When I was little, we lived next to a highway embankment, and I remember how much fun we used to have sledding or tumbling down. I didn’t join in — because sadly, as an adult, I get motion sick doing stuff like that — but I stood and watched Little Biker Boy run up, tumble down, run up, tumble down, run up, tumble down, until finally he was shivering and it was time to go buy hot slices of pizza to warm ourselves up.

8 comments:

Di said...

I know I've said things to this effect before, but every time I read one of your posts about Little Biker Boy, I offer a prayer of gratitude-- for you, and for all the adults who parent other people's children.

jo(e) said...

Aw, thanks.

Sandy said...

Lovely picture!

Kris said...

Little Biker Boy will always keep these memories in his heart.

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

He looks so young in that picture!

Gregory Zimmerman said...

thanks for the great post (as always)

reminded me that in college we would sled down an overpass where one 2-lane highway crossed another 2-lane highway. it was the best hill in that particular town in western KS. since snow didn't persist for more than a few days, we'd have to run right out and take advantage of it when it was available (but of course only after we'd gone to our classes). some beverages cooling in the snow made for nice apres-sled.

it was all perfectly safe. we were never in any risk of entering the roadway. but a relative who still lives there said 'they' don't let people do that anymore.

kathy a. said...

seconding di; so glad you and your family are there for this kid.

and jennifer -- he looks so small in this photo. and from what you hear, which is not all that happens, he has bad stuff going on still. which is why it is so great that he has these escapes with you.

Kyla said...

Looks and sounds like a really lovely day.