October 08, 2015

Going grey, turning fifty

Going grey, turning fifty

“If you take a naked photo of me,” my friend said, “I want you to highlight my grey hair. I’m turning fifty this year.”

I couldn’t help but smile. I can remember being four years old and telling everyone, “I’m four-going-on-five.” When I was little, I always insisted that everyone recognize just how old I was. In childhood, aging is a badge of honour. I loved that AlmostFifty still thought that way, and wanted to highlight her passage into her fifties.

To be honest, AlmostFifty’s hair looked dark brown to me. But then she pulled the hair up off of her face, and I could see that the underside was streaked with grey.

“We need a grey backdrop,” I said. “Like that stone wall out behind the house.”

The sun was shining, and the stone wall was in a fairly private place, tucked behind a house so that it couldn’t be seen from the road. So AlmostFifty stripped off her clothes and stood in a patch of sun, pulling her hair up to accentuate the silver strands.

Read more about the history of the naked blogging project and check out the gallery of photos.

11 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Brilliant. And beautiful.

Jenny F Scientist said...

My parents made a deal when they were married, 42 years ago, that my mother would go grey and my father would go bald and neither of them would try to change it. So now my mother has completely silver hair and my father clips his balding head to 1/4 inch.

Sandy said...

Lovely photo! Especially the her shadow against the rock wall

DJan said...

A stunning portrait of a beautiful person. Well done! :-)

Rummuser said...

That is one stunning photograph. My compliments to you for that light and shadow effect.

Here is something that may amuse you and the fifty year old. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/me-my-hair-and-i-leaves-black-hair-out-of-the-narrative_5615912be4b0cf9984d84d9a?utm_hp_ref=arts&section=india&adsSiteOverride=in

Far Side of Fifty said...

Lovely and she is shapely too:)

Chiastic Musings said...

This beauty, this project--never gets old.

Zhoen said...

She's gorgeous, in large part for her evident confidence. Love the grey, love embracing the age we are.

Val said...

Beautiful photo. Happy almost-birthday to her! Almost-Fifty and I have the same gloriously-white-underneath hair--and I'm 38. :) I love mine too.

Lomagirl said...

I love the shadow! Happy fiftieth, "AlmostFifty."

Magpie said...

Oh the shadow is divine. Like a pin up girl.