February 26, 2017

Felt like spring

Lake in February

Last week, the area schools had their annual February break. So on Friday, I drove to a little town on the other side of the lake to visit the 16-year-old who used to live across the street from me. We kept in touch while he moved from foster home to foster home, and then four years ago, he was adopted by a wonderful family.

Biker Boy has grown taller than me and his voice is deeper, but he’s still the same sweet kid who used to come over and play with train tracks on my living room floor. He and I went out for breakfast to a diner that served delicious blueberry pancakes, and he told me everything happening in his life. He likes his high school, he broke up with his girlfriend, and he still loves to fish. He joined the fire department where both his adoptive father and his adoptive grandfather volunteer: he’s the youngest firefighter.

After breakfast, we took a detour to stop at the fire department, so he could show me their trucks. It’s a one-story building, which means it has no fire pole, but it seemed like a nice facility. I took a photo of him out in front. “If there were kids in a burning house, I would do anything to get them out,” Biker Boy told me. “I’m like that.”

“I know,” I said to him. “I’ve always liked that about you.”

We had a lovely morning. We took a walk along the lake, where the wind had piled up mounds of soft ice in various shades of white and blue. We stopped to take a hike at a park where the melted snow was rushing and crashing over a cliff. And of course, we ate the same lunch we always do: slices of pizza with root beer. It’s a tradition

.Chittenango Falls

27 comments:

Bardiac said...

I'm so happy that you still have a relationship with Biker Boy. It sounds like things are going well for him, which is what everyone needs.

Anonymous said...

Long term reader - thank you so much for this update on Biker Boy. So great to hear how he's doing and to know that you're still connected.

Anonymous said...

So happy that he is in a good place. I was just thinking of him a week or so ago and sending good thoughts out into the universe for his wellbeing. I still mourn over PonyTail girl and how she did not come to the same kind of "good place" last I heard.
ChrisinNY

What Now? said...

I love that you have continued to nurture your relationship with Biker Boy. He is so clearly loved! I'm so glad that he's doing well after such a very rough start to life.

L said...

YAY! That's so lovely to read! I already knew about this encounter thanks to Instagram, but I really really miss your (and everyone else's) blogging. The loneliness out here in blogland is overwhelming at times. Sigh... but I trudge on. Thanks for the post! I hope you don't stop entirely...

Phil said...

That's so cool. You should feel so gratified.

When they were young and you were investing time with them, I thought, "Hon..you're going to have your heart broken."

Congratulations for persevering, and succeeding.

My brother's doing something similar with a young man whose dad is evanescent, and mom kinda drifts. He's childless, and perhaps evincing a little regret, and I worried about him similarly. I think it's turning out well. Nice job, guys!

Teri said...

love love love love.
I join the chorus of those who are so grateful you are still able to have a relationship with Biker Boy, and those who miss his sister dearly. Thank you for being in their lives as you have, and for sharing the stories with us!!

DJan said...

This post made me smile to know of a little portion of the good in the world. I really needed that, given all the bad news going around. And thanks for introducing me to Biker Boy. :-)

Rummuser said...

Must have meant the world for the young man that you took the trouble to visit with him and spend time with him. I salute you.

undine said...

Glad to hear that Biker Boy is doing well! Thank you for keeping us posted on him.

Cat Lover said...

How wonderful you still keep in contact and we're able to spend the day with Biker Boy. Looks like you both had a wonderful day. Glad the weather cooperated.

Lomagirl said...

I can't believe he's 16. Wow. I'm having a tough week- lots of sadness- and this is a bit of joy. Thank you.

Zhoen said...

This is good news. Much needed. Downright hopeful.

Karen said...

So happy to hear about biker boy! Wonderful that you are still in touch!

Unknown said...

This is the best news I've seen all week. Thank you for letting us in on it.

Lorianne said...

Thank you for posting this, and for all you've done for Biker Boy over the years.

Far Side of Fifty said...

He sounds like a great kid, and you have a good relationship. :)

Anonymous said...

So good to read an update on Biker Boy. As soon as I saw his name I smiled for a long time. Thank you for writing it down and sharing it with us.

Jennifer said...

Happy to see that you're back! And great to see an update on Biker Boy, and to see that things are going well. The waterfall is beautiful!

Mary Beth said...

What a perfect joy to read!!! Thank you.

Liz Miller said...

This makes my heart sing.

chicago foodie girl said...

So happy to see the return of Biker Boy -- I can't believe he's already 16!

kathy a. said...

Late to the party -- but so glad to hear Biker Boy is doing so well! You were a lifeline to him, when he needed one; and it is wonderful you are still in touch. xoxo

BrightenedBoy said...

You changed this boy's life. So glad to see a happy ending for a boy with a difficult start.

susan said...

What they all said! Fills my heart with joy to see this.

Michelle said...

Simmering joy...thank you!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

Công ty vận chuyển hàng nước ngoài FadoExpress hàng đầu chuyên vận chuyển, chuyển phát nhanh siêu tốc đi khắp thế giới, nổi bật là dịch vụ gửi hàng đi mỹ, gửi hàng đi úc và gửi hàng đi đài loan uy tín, giá rẻ